Monday, June 4, 2012

Day hiking PR

Because of my intended early start for my hike out, I used part of my layover day to see what I'd be missing in those early hours.  I hiked the first couple of miles on the Bright Angel.  That way, I could also get photos!

 It was a little surprising to see the sandy parts.

It was on this part of the trail that I ran across an interesting woman.  She had little teeny stuff sacks/pockets all over her and very colorful non-matching stockings (which I later learned were probably to help with swelling or something).  She looked quite the character - and she was, in fact.  She was not only hiking rim to rim, but she was hiking RIM TO RIM TO RIM, and she was day hiking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And this was her second time doing it!  It never fails, every time I'm proud of myself for accomplishing something, I meet someone who FAR surpasses my measly accomplishment!  People are so amazing, aren't they?

I met her counterpart later, back at Phantom Ranch.  He was going to wait for her there while she went up and down the North Kaibab...  I'm blown away by what he was able to do as a day hike, but I can't even imagine what she was doing!!!

Anyways, shall we continue now with my MINI-adventure??

 Pretty verbena.

 And yucca.

 You can see the trail, wrapping around the canyon walls, above the river.



 Oh look!  Another bathroom!  Never let a good composting toilet opportunity pass you by!  You never know when the next one might avail itself - well, actually you do, with a little research...  They place these palaces so perfectly though, I never had to use the bushes, going down or up!

 Some fellow PR participants who weren't just practicing like me - they were heading up and out, for real.

 Looks like some kind of potato flower.



 You can see both bridges in this image - we're on the silver side.

On the Bright Angel Trail side of the silver bridge.



 Instead of going back to PR right away though, I decided to do the bridge loop trail.

On this trail, you go over one bridge, then take the trail that runs along the cliff face above the river!  Then back over the other bridge.  It's not scary, but it's sure neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment